Welcome to the biointerface lab!
At the biointerface lab we strive to understand and control phenomena occurring at the interface between synthetic materials and biological molecules. We are especially focused on biomineralization, and one of our main goals is to develop "surface interactive scaffolds" for soft and hard tissue regeneration, with a functional surface designed to induce or inhibit mineralization depending on the desired application, as well as a specific cellular response. Our surface-centered approach brings us to develop materials for drug delivery, dental applications, and (non bio-related!) energy and the environment. Our work is performed in collaboration with researchers from McGill, Canada and abroad.
- July 2014:Profs. Paola Calza, Cristina Paganini and Marco Sangermano join our lab as visiting professors from Italy.
- May 2014: Marco and Federico join our lab as visiting PhD students from Italy. They will be with us during the summer.
- January 1, 2014: Chris and Leila join our lab to do a research project during the Winter semester.
- January 1, 2014: Prof. Xingyi Xie comes to our lab as a visiting professor from Sichuan University, China, for one year.
- January 1, 2014: Amro Hussien officially joins our lab as a new PhD student! He will be co-supervised by Prof. Monzur Murshed
- January 1, 2014: Danae Guerra joins our lab as a new PhD student! She is co-supervised by Profs. Scott Bohle and Mary Stevenson
I am currently looking for a post-doctoral fellow interested in a position that will have a strong industrial/applied component. 80% of the time will be spent on a project in collaboration with Walter Surface Technologies. Required knowledge in surface chemistry and surface characterization, image processing. Valued skills: cell culture, bone tissue engineering, for the remaining 20% of the work time.
Upcoming conferences of interest:
- Nov 30-Dec 5, 2014: MRS Fall meeting and exhibit, Boston, USA
- Aug 31, Sept 3, 2014: Annual meeting of the European Biomaterials Society, Liverpool, UK
- August 17-22, 2014: Gordon Research Conference on biomineralization, New London, NH, USA
- June 10-13, 2014: Joint Canadian Chapter of the Controlled Release Society and Canadian Society for Pharmaceutical Sciences Annual Conference, Montreal, QC, Canada